The Affirmative Employment Program is implemented to ensure equal opportunity in all personnel administration and management matters throughout the employment lifecycle, including recruitment, outreach, hiring, retention, training, development, promotions, awards, and separations. This program strives to ensure the Air Force is proactively recruiting, hiring, promoting, and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce.
The Disability Program Management Program communicates the needs of individuals with disabilities and information relevant to ensuring Air Force compliance with Disability Programs, employment initiatives and federal law.
- A Reasonable Accommodation is an adjustment or alteration that enables a qualified person with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties, or enjoy equal benefits and privileges of employment. Reasonable accommodation is covered under AFI 36-2710 Ch. 13.
- Qualified Individual with a Disability is an individual with a physical or mental impairment, or a record of having such impairment, that substantially limits one or more major life activities, who can, with or without reasonable accommodation, perform the essential functions of the position that the individual holds or desires. A qualified individual with a disability does not include any employee or applicant who is currently engaging in the illegal use of drugs.
- Schedule A is Excepted Service Appointing Authorities covered under 5 CFR 213.3102 (u), for hiring people with severe physical disabilities, psychiatric disabilities, and intellectual disabilities. This excepted authority is used to appoint persons with severe physical disabilities, psychiatric disabilities, and intellectual disabilities. Such individuals may qualify for conversion to permanent status after two years of satisfactory service. Sever physical disabilities include but are not limited to blindness, deafness, paralysis, missing limbs, epilepsy, dwarfism, and more.
- Schedule A, 5 CFR 213.3102 (11) for hiring readers, interpreters, and personal assistants. This excepted authority is used to appoint readers, interpreters, and personal assistants for employees with severe disabilities as reasonable accommodations
- Workforce Recruitment Program (WRP) - Employs eligible college students and recent grads with disabilities in internships and permanent jobs.
- Disability Retirement - You must become disabled, while employed in a position subject to FERS, because of a disease or injury, for useful and efficient service in your current position. The disability must be expected to last at least one year. Your agency must certify that it is unable to accommodate your disabling medical condition in your present position and that it has considered you for any vacant position in the same agency at the same grade/pay level, within the same commuting area, for which you are qualified for reassignment. There is no minimum age but have to have 18 months of service years.
Policy Letter on Special Emphasis Programs (SEPS) and Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Email to Robins Disability Program:78ABW.DEIA.DisabilityProgram@us.af.mil