Chief Master Sgt. Luis R. Magana is the command chief master sergeant of the 78th Air Base Wing at Robins Air Force Base, Georgia, where he serves as the principle enlisted advisor to commanders and their staffs on matters concerning the effective utilization, training, education and combat readiness for 2,700 Airmen on a 6,935-acre installation. Chief Magana provides essential support to more than 23,000 personnel assigned to 54 mission partner units, including a major command headquarters, three wings, a combat communications group, and an air logistics complex. He also leads and serves as the functional manager and advisor to more than 24 first sergeants across the installation.
Chief Magana joined the U.S. Air Force in January 2002. His background includes numerous leadership roles at the flight, squadron, group, wing and career field levels. Additionally, he has deployed in support of Operations Enduring Freedom, Iraqi Freedom and Damayan. As a joint and coalition forces leader, Chief Magana directly supported several humanitarian responses, building partnerships, U.S. presidential support, and special operations in Australia, Japan, Singapore, Myanmar, Nepal, South Korea and Philippines. Prior to this assignment, he was the senior enlisted leader of the 30th Medical Group, Vandenberg Space Force Base, California.
2006 Airman Leadership School, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.
2007 Associate in Applied Science, Construction Technology, Community College of the Air Force
2009 Associate in Applied Science, Bioenvironmental Engineering Technology, Community College of the Air Force
2009 NASA/Department of Defense Space Operations Medical Support Course, Edwards AFB, Calif.
2011 Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science, Trident University, Cypress, Calif.
2011 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Lackland AFB, Texas
2012 Hazardous Materials Operations National Fire Protection Association Certification Course, Edwards AFB, Calif.
2012 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell AFB-Gunter Annex, Ala., by correspondence
2013 Emergency Medical Technician Course, U.S. Naval Hospital, Guam
2013 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education, by correspondence
2013 Air Advisor Academy, Andersen AFB, Guam
2014 Master of Science in Public Health, Trident University, Calif.
2016 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell AFB-Gunter Annex, Ala.
2017 Intermediate Executive Skills Course, San Antonio, Texas
2018 Professional Managers Certification, Community College of the Air Force
2019 Chief Master Sergeant Leadership Course, Maxwell AFB-Gunter Annex, Ala.
2020 Combined Senior Leadership Course, Defense Health Headquarters, Falls Church, Va.
1. August 2002 – December 2004, Structural Apprentice, 20th Civil Engineer Squadron, Shaw Air Force Base, S.C.
2. January 2004 – January 2008, Structural Journeyman, 355th Civil Engineer Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
3. February 2008 – September 2012, Noncommissioned Officer in Charge, Industrial Hygiene/Contingency Operations, 95th Aerospace Medicine Squadron, Edwards AFB, Calif.
4. October 2012 – December 2013, Noncommissioned Officer in Charge, Bioenvironmental Engineering, 36th Contingency Response Group, Andersen AFB, Guam
5. January 2013 – September 2016, Flight Chief, Environmental Health, 36th Medical Operations Squadron, Andersen AFB, Guam
6. October 2016 – July 2020, Superintendent, 75th Operational Medical Readiness Squadron, Hill AFB, Utah
7. July 2020 – June 2022, Senior Enlisted Leader, 30th Medical Group, Vandenberg Space Force Base, Calif.
8. June 2022 – Present, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 78th Air Base Wing, Robins AFB, Ga.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Army Achievement Medal
2007 Honor Graduate, Bioenvironmental Engineering Apprentice Course, Brooks City Base, Texas
2008 Pitsenbarger Award, 95th Air Base Wing, Edwards Air Force Base, Calif.
2009 Noncommissioned Officer of the Year, 95th Aerospace Medicine Squadron, Edwards AFB, Calif.
2011 NCO of the Year, 95th Medical Group, Edwards AFB, Calif.
2011 Air Force Materiel Command Outstanding Base Bioenvironmental Engineering NCO of the Year Award
2013 NCO of the Year, 36th Contingency Response Group, Andersen AFB, Guam
2014 Pacific Air Forces Senior Noncommissioned Officer Organizational Management Excellence Award
2014 SNCO of the Year, 36th Air Base Wing, Andersen AFB, Guam
2015 Distinguished Graduate, Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell AFB-Gunter Annex, Ala.
2015 Air Force Medical Services Senior Noncommissioned Officer Leadership Award
(Current as of June 2022)