Official websites use .mil
Secure .mil websites use HTTPS
Two years after a telegram announced Wellston would be the site of the new Army Air Field depot, Gen. Charles E. “Steve” Thomas, the depot commander, turned over his responsibilities as the installation commander to Lt. Col. Fredrick Bell June 16, 1943. Bell became the first “installation commander.” This new organization went into effect at Robins Field as a means of relieving the depot commander of support functions. Today this job is held by the 78th Air Base Wing commander, supported by the 2,700 personnel. This symbiotic relationship functions to make sure we can “Keep ‘Em Flying.”
No camera details available.
This photograph is considered public domain and has been cleared for release.
If you would like to republish please give the photographer appropriate credit.
Further, any commercial or non-commercial use of this photograph or any other
DoD image must be made in compliance with guidance found at
which pertains to intellectual property restrictions (e.g., copyright and
trademark, including the use of official emblems, insignia, names and slogans), warnings
regarding use of images of identifiable personnel, appearance of endorsement, and related matters.