Chief Master Sgt. Michael Simon is the Command Chief, 461st Air Control Wing, Robins Air Force Base, Georgia. He is the wing’s senior enlisted leader and principal advisor to the commander on all aspects of employment, training, readiness, resilience and development of the force. The 461st Air Control Wing Liberaiders deliver combat-ready Airmen and Command, Control, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance E-8C Joint Surveillance Target Attack Radar aircraft and Deployable Air Traffic Control and Landing Systems in support of the joint force, combatant commanders, disaster relief or humanitarian assistance, anytime, anywhere.
Chief Simon entered the Air Force in July 2000. He graduated from the helicopter maintenance crew chief apprentice course at Fort Eustis, Virginia, in February 2001. Chief Simon has served on active duty for over 22 years. Throughout his career, he has maintained MH-53, HH-60, Mi-17, MD-530 helicopters and the CV-22 Osprey filling a myriad of technical and leadership roles. Chief Simon has been stationed at locations in Florida, Georgia, Colorado and New Mexico. He has served as an Air Advisor to the Afghan Air Force and at the United States Air Force Academy as an Academy Military Training Noncommissioned Officer.
Chief Simon has deployed multiple times and participated in several contingency operations in support of NATO Air Training Command - Afghanistan, Joint Special Operations Air Component - Central, Combined Joint Task Force - Horn of Africa, and Operations Mountain Resolve, Iraqi Freedom, Enduring Freedom, and Inherent Resolve. Prior to his current position, Chief Simon was the Group Senior Enlisted Leader for the 27th Special Operations Maintenance Group, Cannon AFB, New Mexico.
2004 Airman Leadership School, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
2007 Airframe and Power Plant license, Federal Aviation Administration, Middle Georgia College, Cochran, Ga.
2008 Maintenance Instructor Course, Hill Air Force Base, Utah
2009 Associate of Applied Science, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell Air Force Base Gunter Annex, Ala.
2011 Bachelor of Arts, Pastoral Studies, Southeastern College, Winfield, Kan.
2011 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
2011 Air Advisor Course, Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, N.J.
2012 United States Air Force Academy Military Trainer School, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
2012 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education, by correspondence
2013 Leadership and Character Coaching Certification, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
2014 Master of Arts, Theological Studies, Liberty University, Lynchburg, Va.
2015 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Gunter Annex-Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2015 Basic Freefall Parachuting Course, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
2016 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education II, by correspondence
2019 Air Force Special Operations Command Leadership Development, USAF Special Operations School, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
2020 Chief Leadership Course, Gunter Annex-Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2021 Senior Enlisted Legal Orientation, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2021 Command Chief Master Sergeant Training Course, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
1. July 2000 – August 2000, Trainee, Basic Military Training, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
2. August 2000 – February 2001, Student, 362nd Training Squadron Detachment 1, Fort Eustis, Va.
3. February 2001 – April 2001, Student, 373rd Training Squadron Detachment 16, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
4. April 2001 – March 2006, Crew Chief, 16th Helicopter Maintenance Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
5. March 2006 – October 2008, Crew Chief, 723rd Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Moody AFB, Ga.
6. October 2008 – January 2010, Maintenance Instructor, 23rd Maintenance Operations Squadron, Moody AFB, Ga.
7. January 2010 – August 2012, noncommissioned officer in charge, Instructor Element, 23rd Maintenance Operations Squadron, Moody AFB, Ga.(June 2011 – June 2012, Air Advisor, 802nd Air Expeditionary Advisory Squadron, Shindand Air Base, Afghanistan)
8. August 2012 – May 2015, Academy Military Training NCO, Cadet Squadron 16, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
9. May 2015 – August 2016, Academy Military Training NCO, Cadet Squadron 19, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
10. August 2016 – January 2019, 8th Aircraft Maintenance Unit Assistant Superintendent, 801st Special Operations Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla. (January 2017 – June 2017, Maintenance Superintendent, 8th Expeditionary Special Operations Squadron, Southwest Asia; March 2018 – July 2018, Senior Enlisted Leader, 8th Expeditionary Special Operations Squadron, Indo-Pacific)
11. January 2019 – January 2020, AMU Superintendent, 801st Special Operations Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
12. January 2020 – February 2021, Squadron Superintendent, 727th Special Operations Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Cannon AFB, N.M. (January 2021 – May 2021, Senior Enlisted Leader, Joint Special Operations Air Component – Central, Southwest Asia)
13. February 2021 – June 2022, Senior Enlisted Leader, 27th Special Operations Maintenance Group, Cannon AFB, N.M.
14. June 2022 – Present, Command Chief, 461st Air Control Wing, Robins AFB, Ga.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with three bronze stars
Iraq Campaign Medal with one bronze star
Inherent Resolve Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Service Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
ISAF NATO Medal (Non-Article 5)
2009 23rd Wing Instructor of the Year
2010 Combat Air Forces Maintenance Instructor of the Year
2011 summa cum laude, Bachelor of Arts, Southeastern College, Kansas
2011 Distinguished Graduate, Noncommissioned Officer Academy
2011 438th Air Expeditionary Wing Noncommissioned Officer of the Year
2013 United States Air Force Academy Cadet Wing Unit Safety Representative of the Year
2014 Graduate with Distinction, Master of Arts, Liberty University, Va.
2014 USAFA Cadet Group 2 Academy Military Training NCO of the Year
2014 USAFA Unit Safety Representative of the Year
2016 USAFA Cadet Group 2 Lance P. Sijan Leadership Award
2017 1st Special Operations Wing Lieutenant General Leo Marquez Award
(Current as of July 2022)