Air Force officials announce elimination of 4,500 additional positions Published Jan. 11, 2012 By Air Force News Service WASHINGTON -- Air Force officials announced 4,500 additional positions for elimination as a continuation of its FY12 Civilian Workforce Restructure. This reduction builds on the realignments announced in November, including the elimination of 9000 positions and the addition of 5900 positions against the Air Force's top priorities. In addition, these reductions respond to the Secretary of Defense's direction to target civilian funding at fiscal year 2010 levels. "We value our talented and experienced workforce and are trying to do everything possible to manage these reductions with as little impact to our people as possible," said Michael B. Donley, Secretary of the Air Force. In an effort to encourage voluntary separations and retirements, the Air Force is currently offering its second round of voluntary separation incentive pay and voluntary early retirement authority programs. Civilian employees received VERA/VSIP eligiblility surveys from their personnel managers earlier this month. Approved applications will result in separations or retirements that take effect by April 30. Air Force officials are still evaluating the need for a Reduction in Force. "At this time, we are surveying the workforce for a second round of VERA/VSIP and are in the midst of management reassignments resulting from the first round of the restructure," said Brig Gen Gina Grosso Director of Manpower, Organization, and Resources. "Once we exhaust all voluntary force management measures, a determination will be made whether or not a RIF is necessary. We hope to have more information in the spring." This announcement marks the end of civilian reductions associated with the Air Force's FY12 civilian workforce restructure.