STORMWATER STRAIGHT TALK: Cease the Grease - Oils and greases do not belong in the drain

  • Published
  • Robins Public Affairs

Oil and grease should never be disposed of down the drain for any reason. This includes fuels, motor oil, lubricating oil, hydraulic oil, cooking oil or animal derived fats, such as bacon grease, that may be used at home or on base.

These materials can cause backups in the pipe system within your home, at the wastewater treatment plant, or anywhere in between. Pipe backups lead to sewer capacity reduction, increased maintenance costs, shortened infrastructure lifespan, treatment plant upsets, facility closures, harm to fish and plants, odors, human health hazards and fines levied against Robins Air Force Base. 

What happens if the pipes back up? 

Back-ups in pipes may lead to floods within your home or the environment. Back-ups in the environment allow the oil and grease to be washed into stormwater runoff systems which eventually lead to our ponds, lakes, creeks and rivers. Only a small amount of oil or grease will contaminate a large body of water. A release of oil and grease into a waterway may result in environmental fines against the base.  In addition, backups cost significant time and money to repair. 

Why can’t the Industrial Wastewater Treatment Plant or Sanitary Treatment Plant treat oils and greases? 

At Robins, the IWTP pre-treats metals from wastewater before it enters the STP. At the STP, an essential biological process requires microorganisms to break down organic material in the water. Oils and greases kill these microorganisms so the treatment plant cannot properly treat the wastewater. This may lead to plant closure which may result in mission delays.

What should I do instead? 

Used fuel, motor oil, lubricating oil and hydraulic oil from domestic or official functions should be disposed of at an appropriate location. For example, oils can be recycled at an oil change business or at a certified hazardous waste facility. Building 359, at the intersection of Robins Parkway and Watson Boulevard, is a certified hazardous waste facility on the base. Contact your local environmental, health, or solid waste agency for household hazardous waste disposal off base. Be sure to label your containers with information about the material that requires disposal. Domestic cooking oils should be poured into a container and disposed of in the trash. Base restaurants are equipped with edible oil tanks for recycling. Spill kits should be used to help clean up spills that could occur at the work place. Soiled rags and other contaminated materials should be containerized and disposed of at Building 359.


Editor's note: Stormwater Straight Talk is a quarterly column intended to educate and inform base personnel and families about stormwater management.