Military members with school-age children school transfer announcement

  • Published
  • Robins Public Affairs

2018-2019 Public School transfer request open until Aug. 20.

The Houston County School System has published their House Bill 224 school transfer announcement.  HB 224 gives a military service member who lives on base or in off-base privatized housing the option to request a school transfer for their child.

Application window is open now until August 20 and will ONLY be accepted by mail. If a military service member moves to Houston County and lives on a military base or off-base in military housing, the application must be submitted within 10 school days of registering their children at Central Registration.

Some of the Highlights from the message are as follows:

·         Parents should list the top three schools they would like their child to transfer to.

·         Applications may be printed from the website or picked up at your child’s school.

·         Applications will ONLY be accepted through Aug. 20 and ONLY by mail.

·         Parents will be notified by mail of approval or denial by Aug. 27.

·         Students must begin school year at their zoned school.

·         Students with approved transfers will begin their new school no later than Sept. 4.

·         Parents would be required to provide transportation for students who attend out of zone.

The Houston County School System release about House Bill 224, is posted to the Board of Education website,, as well as on the School Zones webpage. The implementation procedures and an application to request a transfer through HB 224 can be found at the following link:

For more information, contact School Operations at 478-218-7513.